Wednesday, April 12, 2006

bright & early this morning. . .

Thanks to Jill Talley, I had an opportunity to be interviewed this morning on 920 KVEC by our own Ben Greenaway about Easter and our upcoming 75th Anniversary Celebration. We've posted it on the website. Check it out. . .

KVEC Interview - 75th Anniversary.mp3

So later in the day, I get a call from some guy who heard me on the radio and who happened to live next to Ruth Persson, wife of founding pastor Leroy Persson, up in Santa Margarita somewhere. He says he has some sort of stone step or rock or something that might have some historical value to the church and do I want to come and see it? I say, "Let me pass on your number to our 75th Anniversary Committee." Who knew?

And here's a weird piece of trivia: The Sunday Worship Service was broadcast on 920 KVEC for years. I bet Ben doesn't even know that. I'm not exactly sure which years, but I bet Tim Weaver knows! Tim?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been given 2 different dates from 2 different sources, 1938 and 1941. KVEC (Valley Electric Company) started as a station in 1937 and Leroy Persson had been talking about being on radio before they even started, so either date would make sense. In 1967 we moved to KOAG in Arroyo Grande. We moved back to KVEC sometime before the early 70s, because that is when then Dodger baseball would sometimes preempt us on KVEC and we would be on tape delay in the afternoon.

These are Curt Cunningham's memories of the Radio ministry from Grace.
http://graceslo.org/anniversary/history/Cunningham.asp


I enjoyed hearing the interview, Tim.

Robbin said...

The KVEC radio broadcast from Grace Church was at least during Johnny Boswell's time. I started in 1970 and they were doing it then. When he left, the broadcasts stopped soon after I believe. But I remember them with Johnny signing off at the end, bent over the mic, while we kept singing the closing hymn. Fun times.