Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I was distracted this morning. . .

I got this note last week from a friend, after I compared the menus of In-N-Out Burger and Carl's Jr. . . .

We have the scantily clad women Carl's Jr. has, too, sadly. I wonder if this is a subject the pastor wants to consider mentioning...here's an article about that sort of thing. I was distracted this morning and it irritated me.

The article he references is HERE. (Warning: the article pretty provocative and challenging, but honest and insightful. I think it captures well the real issues men face, but most women are unaware of.)

I thought it was awfully honest for this guy to reach out and share his "distraction." Admittedly, I am a bit busy and preoccupied on Sunday mornings, so this is not something that I've noticed.

But this is a subject "the pastor" is willing to mention. . . .

I think our sisters in Christ have an opportunity to serve and care for their brothers in Christ by dressing modestly when we come to worship the Lord together. I agree that the world gives us enough to deal with in this area. The church should offer men a refuge from the onslaught of overly sexualized culture.

I honestly don't think that Christian women are trying to arouse their brothers in Christ, but they really don't have a clue how the male mind works. Every honest Christian man I know admits struggle in this area. Every one.

Paul's comments about modesty in 1 Timothy 2, while originally intended to address flashy clothing, most certainly apply to scanty or over revealing clothing as well. . . .

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.--1 Timothy 2:9-10

No comments: