Thursday, August 05, 2010

the internet never forgets

This morning, in our men's study, we had a terrific conversation about technology and its slow encroachment on our lives. We fail to recognize how technology is affecting the shape of who we are and how we live. But it's happening to most of us. We are unknowingly conformed to the world in this area. It's alluring. It sucks us in with its obvious benefits, but we fail to see the hidden costs. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

I was definitely surprised in a recent staff meeting to discover I was the only one in the room who didn't have a Facebook account. Wow!

I believe that technology is both a tool to be used and a force to be resisted. We must examine our use of technology and intentionally look for ways to turn it off and tune it out and limit its influence on our lives. We must learn to ask. . .

  • Is this a good use of my time?"

  • Is this "redeeming the time, because days are evil"? (Ephesians 5:16)

  • Is this dwelling on "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, whatever is excellent and worthy of praise" ? (Philippians 4:8)

  • What else could I be doing right now?

  • Is this an investment in something that's going to outlast me?

  • Is this an investment in eternity (God, God's Word and God's people)?

And there are other concerns and things we've got to be thinking about. . . . this article made me want to pull my cord out of the wall for sure. Give it a read and tell me it didn't freak you out a bit. . . .

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

Wow! I just got into a long (rant) discussion about the internet last night with some friends. For me it boils down to the fact that the internet is a shadow of real living, it is a source of info but not a source of knowledge it is a way to relate but does not promote real relationship. At it's best it is a tool at is worst it is a fraud. Obviously it has a place but after realizing the amount of time I waste on the internet and calculating it out I had to restrict my usage. Psalm 101:2
"... I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; 3 I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless." Very timely post. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,
Dd here - also not on Facebook, and this is only the second time I've ever made a comment online, but Jono (my son keeps me up on pop culture) & I were just watching a YouTube piece on the Anthropology of YouTube by Professor Michael Wesch. Interesting comments about how we express individualism, yet value community and the tension created as we try to have both.