Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mayor Dave


I was pretty humbled and intimidated 7 years ago when I learned that the mayor of the city attended the church I was called to pastor.

I was humbled and intimidated again this morning when I read this New Times article noting Mayor Dave's contribution to our community over the years and his retirement announcement.

There he and Mary Belle sit every Sunday morning. Faithful, quiet, unassuming, approachable, personable and always, always encouraging to me. They both love God's Word and coming under its hearing. He calls me "Pastor." I call him "Mayor."

He's practiced his Christian faith in the faithful fulfillment of his family and civic callings. He's invested his life in our community and his impact and influence will be felt for many years to come. I respect that. Like all men, Dave Romero is not perfect, but he's loved and served our city with integrity for so many years and, in so doing, has served the Lord.

I respect and give thanks to the Lord for Dave Romero and wish him the best as he begins to serve the Lord in a new season of life.

2 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

Nice post, Pastor Tim. Love it when I get to sit behind the Romero's on a given Sunday and get to enjoy the Mayor's strong handshake and see the way he and his wife love each other. What a great example for younger generations.

JLee said...

I enjoyed your blogs God Bless