Thursday, April 19, 2007

tools to use

I'm experimenting with two tools right now. . .

1. Google Reader: with 14 and counting Grace blogs, and others I read regularly, I'm trying to figure out a way to keep up to date. I'm trying Google Reader and I'm liking it. Google Reader allows you to "subscribe" to blogs with a button you put in your browser bar and then read all your blogs in a single window instead of clicking to each separate site. There are many other blog reader/aggregators out there, but Google is getting as good of reviews as any of them.

Here's what the window looks like. . . .


If you use another reader you like, share the love in a comment. If you're looking for a way to stay up to date, but simplify your blog reading experience, check out Google Reader.

2. Snap Shots: Have you noticed the new little captions by the links on "life together?" Roll over one and see what happens. Essentially, the linked content occurs in a little window. I think its pretty neat, but I'm not sure if it clutters up the blog and is more annoying then helpful. What do you think?

3 comments:

Phillip Moses said...

Well, I don't read that many blogs, and the ones I do read, I enjoy going to their site for the whole "environment" experience. For example, Life Together has links that I enjoy exploring, as does the Fide-o blog: http://www.fide-o.blogspot.com/.

I have a personalized Google home-page, though that links to your blog (and a few others), so I can see when the newest article is posted.

As for the Snap Shots icons, I'm not a huge fan. It is a redundant feature, as I use Firefox as my browser and have the CoolIris plugin: http://www.cooliris.com/Site/index.html.

That one always works...

Kevin Heldt said...

Thanks for the heads up on Google Reader, Tim -- pretty cool. Just set it up for a few blogs -- do you know if it flags as unread if there are simply new comments? Or do you have to still visit the page for that?

Pastor Tim Theule said...

Great question, Kevin. . . I don't think it flags as unread when somebody leaves a new comment, but you can subscribe to an individual comment thread:

1. Just open the comment window.
2. Push your handy dandy subscribe button in your browser tool bar. If you haven't found that button, its under one of the set-up tabs.

When comments fizzle out for that post, just delete that RSS from your reader.

A bit clunky, but it works...