Tuesday, October 14, 2008

patterns

Just came from our monthly Ministry Staff lunch. . . . this time down at Mo's. (We have a great staff! Have you heard me say that lately? It's all about the team!)

We had a great discussion about what Grace might look like in 10 years, what changes might need to take place and how we lead our church through those changes. No decisions, but some really good exploratory dialogue. We also talked about some other near-term change possibilities in advance of our 2009 calendar planning day next week.

(I don't think I have the courage to ask you what changes you think need to happen here at Grace over the next 5 -10 years.)

Which brings me to your parking patterns. As the current survey (see sidepanel) moves along, it's apparent that most of you are are still parking on the street, instead over at the parking structure. You say you're not parking close, but I wonder? :) How do we get you to shift your paradigm and park in that oh-so-close parking structure so that we can leave even more street parking open for visitors?

And speaking of patterns, I laughed out after the second hour as I stood by the new corridor into the Founder's Hall/Early Childhood Center . . . . as I stood . . . . ALONE. You all clogged the aisles waiting to get out the door to the courtyard, failing to realize that exiting the new corridor would give you access to both your kids and the courtyard twice as fast.

I finally started waving my arms to see if anyone would notice. A few did and walked over to make me feel good.

Seriously, I'm not sure we get it yet! This new corridor has the potential to greatly improve our Sunday morning campus circulation . . . . if we'll lean into it and use it. Change your thinking, change your direction and get to where you're going quicker. Try it, you'll like it.

Amy Kardel told me that studies have shown that at crowded places such as Disneyland, "the crowd always moves right." Isn't that interesting? I'd love to see some data, but that's sure what's happening here at Grace.

Talk about clogging. . . that courtyard is crazy between 2nd and 3rd. We keep talking about it, but I'm not sure there's anything we can do. Great problem to have!

I smell a few more survey questions emerging from all this.

1 comment:

Mama Mote said...

Not looking at my Facebook. First thing I thought of when I got to church this past Sunday WAS to use the new, spacious walkway through to the Courtyard. Instead of going down the outside, it was nice to go through the inside. I still marvel at the newness of it and the difference it makes. Yes, people, go through and take in what God has given us and blessed us with. LOVE IT!!!