Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Thirteen Bioethics Books

Lifted fom Bill Muehlenberg's blog, "Culture Watch", here's a list of Top Twelve Bioethics Books plus a brand new one at the top of the list that I've heard a bunch about.

  1. Cameron, Nigel and Tada, Joni Erickson, How to be a Christian in a Brave New World, Zondervan, 2006.

  2. Cameron, Nigel de S., The New Medicine: Life and Death After Hippocrates. Crossway, 2001.

  3. Cameron, Nigel de S., ed., Bioengagement. Eerdmans, 2000.

  4. Colson, Charles and Nigel de S. Cameron, eds., Human Dignity in the Biotech Century. InterVarsity Press, 2004.

  5. Foreman, Mark, Christianity and Bioethics. College Press Publishing, 1999.

  6. Kass, Leon, Life, Liberty and the Defense of Dignity. Encounter Books, 2002.

  7. Kass, Leon, Toward a More Natural Science: Biology and Human Affairs. The Free Press, 1985.

  8. Kilner, John, et.al, eds., Cutting-Edge Bioethics. Eerdmans 2002.

  9. Meilander, Gilbert, Bioethics: A Primer for Christians. Eerdmans, 1996.

  10. Peterson, James, Genetic Turning Points. Eerdmans, 2001.

  11. Rae, Scott and Paul Cox, Bioethics. Eerdmans, 1999.

  12. Smith, Wesley, Consumer’s Guide to a Brave New World. Encounter Books, 2004.

  13. Wyatt, John, Matters of Life and Death. InterVarsity Press, 1998.

I don't know much about Bill, but I do know several of these books and recognize some of the other authors, so I feel pretty confident in referring you to the whole list.

On #1, #2, #3 and #4. I have listened to Nigel Cameron on this subject on Mars Hill Audio Journal and have been challenged by his thoughts. Colson is always good.

#9 I have in cassette tape format. I'll try and put it in the church library. I think Pastor Steve mentioned it also on the college blog this week.

#11 Both these guys are professors at Talbot School of Theology, the seminary I attended. I called Scott Rae to speak on Sanctity of Life Sunday, but he was unavailable. Another time.

How about reading just one in 2007? I'd recommend #1 as a starting point.

No comments: