Tuesday, June 19, 2007

trying something new . . . my very first . . .

ROAD RIDE!

I'm nearing my 39th birthday and feeling the urge to try some new things. So yesterday I hopped on my brother Chad's road bike and went for my first road ride. I'd never ridden a "skinny tire" bike before. Chad caught me on highway 1 heading out to Morro Bay, pulled over ahead of me and took this little video of me approaching. . . living proof. . .



I went out to Southbay, up to Turri, caught Los Osos Valley Road and then cut across to Foothill to Patricia. . . about a 22 mile or so loop. It's a whole different workout than Mountain Biking. My lungs did fine, but my legs were hurting. Lots of peddling. I got a bit bored and felt like an iPod would have made things a bit more exciting, but I did enjoy the change.

So what new things are you trying in your life and in your relationship with God? How are you stretching yourself? How are you mixing it up?

3 comments:

andy gibson said...

What's up with this brother bike stuff. Like Chad said, "He's got my glasses on, my helmet on, and my bike". Your brother loves you.

Let's see, I'm mixing it up by having a kid in 2-4 weeks (so turning my life upside down) and starting work with a business growth consultant in the same timeframe (so turning my business life upside down). I'll be pretty mixed up, I think. Directly related to God, I'm trying to be more of a witness on the gym basketball floor where I play in Santa Maria. Every week it seems to get more hostile and unsportsman like, and it is challenge to keep my cool and witness to these guys, because sometimes I get into the games. Most of them know I'm Christian, so I'm making a better attempt and being graceful towards them, which will hopefully open the door towards sharing more of the Gospel with them. It's a small step in a bigger walk, but a challenge for me in that environment nonetheless. I'm also not a huge reader, so having to read a lot of business books for our impending "being turned upside down" and reading for 2:42 has been another challenge for me. Nothing seems normal to me, lately.

And I keep trying to get out on my mountain bike, but between my injured ankle at the moment, Jeannett, and basketball, it's the last thing on my plate.

Anonymous said...

Reading Bible stories after dinner. The Bible history quiz on Sunday morning got me to realize that my kids are clueless about who is who in the Bible. Especially in the O.T. So I'm taking a chapter or two from the Bible stories book by Voss and reading the last few nights. I figure that it will take us a year to get through the old testament, but we've got time. The young one is finally settled enough to be able to pull it off (somewhat).

Ted Malley said...

Tim: Glad to see you mixing it up on the road tires. Definitely an iPodders sport. I have a Chris Thomlin/Third Day playlist that gets me up and over Turri Road pretty good. Great times for worshipping and praying and head clearing! I'm trying to get out there more...maybe you can tow me over Turri sometime!